Click to Home
Go To Search
Food Assistance Programs

What is Food Assistance?

The Food Assistance Program provides monthly benefits to low-income households to assist with the cost of food.

Am I Eligible?
You may be eligible for food assistance if you:
• Are unemployed, work part time or work for low wages.
• Receive other public assistance payments.
• Are elderly or disabled and live on a fixed, limited income.
• Are homeless

Only households who are or have children who are U.S. citizens and/or legal resident aliens are eligible for Food Assistance.

How Do I Apply?
English and Spanish Applications for Food Assistance are available at:  Food Assistance Program
You can also apply online at Program Eligibility and Application Kit
English and Spanish Applications are also available at Summit County Division of Health and Human Services.

Bring the completed application and all required documents to our office so that a face-to-face interview can be scheduled for you so that your eligibility can be determined.

Applications cannot be processed without all required documents, which include:

  • Proof of Identity (driver’s license, ID card, resident card, US Passport)

  • Social Security numbers for all household members

  • Proof of any income (pay stubs, letter from employer)

  • Proof of any non-work income (unemployment, child support payments, etc.)

  • Proof of any assets or resources (bank statements, CD/IRA/Stocks/Bonds)

  • Proof of any expenses (rent/mortgage, utilities, day care, child support obligation)

How Long Before I Receive Benefits?
Food assistance applications will be processed within 30 days from the date our office receives your application. Households that meet expedited criteria can receive food assistance benefits within 7 days from the date of their application.

Can I use my EBT card in another state?
You can use your EBT card in any grocery store or retail location anywhere in the United States that has been authorized by the USDA Food & Nutrition Service and displays the Quest logo.
Only Wyoming uses a different EBT card, called Smartcards. If you need to use your EBT card in Wyoming, do so at the larger chain stores that have their own equipment to process both types of EBT cards.

How can I check the balance of my EBT card?
The easiest way to know your account balance is to keep your receipts. If you don't have your receipts, you may check your balance on the internet at Colorado Quest Card
You can also call Customer Service at 1-888-328-2656 or 1-800-659-2656 (TTY).
You are only allowed 10 balance inquiry phone calls per calendar month.

Do I have to use all of my food assistance benefits the month I get them, or will they carry over into the next month?
Any benefits left at the end of the month in your Food Assistance EBT account will be carried over into the next month. Any benefits not used will be removed from the card after 365 days.

What do I do if my EBT card is lost or stolen?
If your EBT card is lost or stolen, call Customer Service toll free at
1-888-328-2656 or 1-800-659-2656 (TTY) to report it missing. Then, come into Summit County Division of Health and Human Services to obtain a replacement card.

Additional Food Help in Summit County
Summit Cares Summit Cares