Click to Home
Go To Search
Drinking Water
Your Drinking Water
Drinking water providers continuously monitor public drinking water systems. If you experience problems with your drinking water quality contact your provider immediately. If you do not know who provides your water, call the closest municipality or the Environmental Health Department to obtain this information.
To report a water main break, contact your water provider or Summit County Dispatch at (970) 668-8600.

    Well Water Testing
    Summit County Environmental Health provides well water testing for nitrates and coliform bacteria. In cases where the department must retrieve the sample (certificate of occupancy) the fee is $102. Please call (970) 668-4070 to schedule a well water test.

    In other cases you may be able to pick up a sample bottle and instructions from our office and take the sample yourself. The fee for water samples you bring to us is $39.

    Fluoride can be naturally occuring in well water.  The Environmental Health Department can test your well water for fluoride levels.  For a fee of $20 we can test the sample you bring to our office.  Contact Environmental Health for sampling requirements.

    See our video about Fluoride in Drinking water.

    If you wish to test for items other than coliform bacteria and nitrates please consult this list of State Water Testing Labs

    The Environmental Health Department conducts inspections of existing water wells for the purposes of real estate transactions upon request by the homeowner, real estate agent or lender. These inspections include testing of the water for coliform bacteria and nitrates as well as a visual inspection of the well head and surrounding area.  If you wish to have the mechanics of your well inspected we suggest you arrange that with a well drilling company.
  • Inspection Form

Well Water Permits
Permits for wells in Summit County are obtained through the Colorado Department of Natural Resources in Denver. Please call (303) 866-3587 and ask for the Division of Water Resources, Water Well Permitting Section.

For Summit County well records please call (970) 945-5665 or search online.

For questions regarding well water augmentation and buying additional water rights please contact the Colorado Department of Natural Resources, Water Resources Division at (970) 468-2442.

Dan Hendershott
Environmental Health Manager

County Commons
0037 Peak One Dr.
SCR 1005
P.O. Box 5660
Frisco, CO 80443

Ph: (970) 668-4070
Fx: (970) 668-4255

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Staff Directory