Animal Shelter Volunteer Program
We have two types of Volunteers:
Regular shelter volunteer:
- Call or stop by the shelter to sign up for orientation/training (see schedule below). Please do not drop in day of class.
- Be at least 14 years old
- If you under 14 years old, a parent or guardian must attend training and accompany the child when volunteering.
- Complete a Volunteer Application (pdf). If under 14 the parent fills out the application for themselves noting the child's name in the appropriate section. If under 18 years old parent must sign the application as well.
- Complete a Volunteer Waiver form (pdf) Parent must sign if under 18 years of age. Pick up at the front desk.
- Attend an orientation and animal training session. This will cover basic information about the shelter, dog and cat interaction and safety. We no longer have separate training classes for dogs and cats. Upon completion of training, you are welcome to begin coming to the shelter and volunteering your time. Class lasts for approximately 2 1/2 hours.
This program is directed towards teens who do not want to be regular long term volunteers, but rather need hours to meet service requirements for programs they are participating in. We offer two hour shifts that can be signed up for at the shelter. These shifts mainly focus on cleaning. There will be no direct contact with animals (i.e. dog walking, cat socialization).
Please review the rules on the form below and sign the waiver that follows. The form must be signed by both the participant and parent / guardian. You need to provide the signed form prior to or on your first shift. You will NOT be allowed to volunteer without a signed form. Should violations of the rules occur or if you sign up and then do not show up, you will not be eligible for the program.
Teen Community Service
Direct questions to the volunteer coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 970-668-4197.
Please call or stop by the shelter to sign up for orientation and class. Please do not drop by day of class. If you need to fill out the forms, please arrive 1/2 hour early, otherwise arrive 10 minutes early in order to check in prior to class.
CLASS IS HELD IN OUR RAINBOW ROOM WHICH WE ALLOW CATS TO ROAM FREELY IN, EVEN DURING OUR TRAINING SESSION.
The following are the dates for the upcoming Volunteer Orientation Classes:
All classes start at 10:00 am and will last approximately until 12:30 pm.
June: Wednesday the 5th & 12th / Saturday the 15th
July: Saturday the 13th / Wednesday the 10th
Aug: Wednesday the 7th / Saturday the 10th
Sept.: Saturday the 7th / Wednesday the 18th
Oct.: Saturday the 5th / Wednesday the 16th
Nov.: Saturday the 2nd / Wednesday the 13th
Dec: Saturday the 7th / Wednesday the 11th
Please bring a photo ID if you are 18 or older.
*Please call or sign up in person at the front desk if you want to attend.
*If you have signed up and are unable to attend, please call to notify the volunteer coordinator (970-668-4197) or the shelter (970-668-3230).
*Please wear appropriate clothing for being at the shelter and for walking dogs outside.
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN HELPING OUR ANIMALS!