Summit County Short Term Rental Regulations
Summit County is currently working to develop regulations for short term rentals (STRs), which will be applicable to properties within the unincorporated areas of Summit County. The scope of this project includes establishing STR regulations that address:
- Permitting and fees
- Regulation of key neighborhood impacts (e.g., parking and trash)
- Regulation of life safety issues (e.g., smoke and carbon monoxide detectors)
- An effective compliance-monitoring and enforcement system.
Any STR regulations we adopt through this process will not apply to properties located inside the boundaries of incorporated towns. At this time, we are not considering any limitations on the number of STR units within the unincorporated areas of Summit County.
The key steps in this process include:
- Gather research and data to define the scope of STR activity to be regulated.
- Gather community and stakeholder input to inform development of regulations.
- Draft and adopt STR regulations, an STR permitting process and fee structure, and a third-party compliance monitoring and enforcement system.
- Draft regulations: STR regulations will primarily be written as a new Section 3821 in the County Land Use and Development Code. View the current working draft regulations, and zoning table
- Draft permitting guide: STR operators will be required to apply for a permit prior to operating an STR. View the draft permit application.
The planning process began in May and will extend through September 2018. The anticipated project timeline is below. For project status updates, visit the STR Blog.
Task 1: May-August 2018
Gather information and community input.
- Community Input Survey - June
A community input survey was created and was open to the community throughout the month of June. We received 477 survey responses, which we are now using to help inform development of draft STR regulations.
- Focus Group Meetings – July-August
Individual focus group meetings will be held to gather input on the draft regulations from various stakeholder perspectives (e.g., STR unit owners, STR neighbors, property managers, real estate agents).
We can accommodate up to 20 people in each of these meetings. If we have more interest than available space, focus group participants will be selected through a lottery, with an effort made to ensure representation from a diversity of geographic areas and types of neighborhoods throughout the County (e.g., resort areas, residential neighborhoods and rural areas).
- STR Contractor: We will contract with a qualified third-party organization to complete a comprehensive STR inventory. The contractor will also assist the County with development of STR regulations and an efficient system for permitting, administration, monitoring and enforcement.
Task 2: July-September 2018
Draft STR regulations, proposed permitting process and fee structure, and compliance monitoring and enforcement system.
- Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) Work Session: 1 p.m., Tuesday, July 31, Summit County Courthouse, 208 E. Lincoln Ave, Breckenridge. County staff reviewed project progress and obtained BOCC direction on draft regulations.
- Countywide Planning Commission Public Hearing: 5:30 p.m., Monday, Aug. 27, Buffalo Mountain Room, Summit County Commons, 37 Peak One Dr., Frisco. The Planning Commission will review the proposed STR regulations, hear public testimony, and provide a recommendation to the BOCC. This meeting will include a public hearing, during which members of the public are invited to provide comment.
Task 3: September-December 2018
Adopt and implement STR regulations.
- Board of County Commissioners Public Hearing: Summit County Courthouse, 208 E. Lincoln Ave, Breckenridge (date to be determined). BOCC consideration of proposed Summit County STR regulations. This meeting will include a public hearing, during which members of the public are invited to provide comment. Please note that the date of this hearing is subject to change, depending on the completion dates of prior steps in the STR project timeline.
- Implementation Steps for STR Regulations and Permitting Process: September-December
- Adoption of Regulations
- Begin receiving and reviewing STR permit applications
- Effective date of regulations with a deadline publicized for compliance
- Begin enforcement of County STR Regulations