Summit County Short Term Rental Regulations
Summit County is currently working to develop regulations for short term rentals (STRs), which will be applicable to properties within the unincorporated areas of Summit County. The scope of this project includes establishing STR regulations that address:
- Permitting and fees
- Regulation of key neighborhood impacts (e.g., parking and trash)
- Regulation of life safety issues (e.g., smoke and carbon monoxide detectors)
- An effective compliance-monitoring and enforcement system.
Share Your Input and Stay Informed
Any STR regulations we adopt through this process will not apply to properties located inside the boundaries of incorporated towns. At this time, we are not considering any limitations on the number of STR units within the unincorporated areas of Summit County.
The key steps in this process include:
- Gather research and data to define the scope of STR activity to be regulated.
- Gather community and stakeholder input to inform development of regulations.
- Draft and adopt STR regulations, an STR permitting process and fee structure, and a third-party compliance monitoring and enforcement system.
The planning process began in May 2018, and the anticipated project timeline is below. For project status updates, visit the STR Blog.
Task 1: May-August 2018
Gather information and community input.
- Community Input Survey - June
A community input survey was created and was open to the community throughout the month of June. We received 477 survey responses, which we are now using to help inform development of draft STR regulations.
- Focus Group Meetings – July-August
Focus group meetings were held to gather input on the draft regulations from various stakeholder perspectives (e.g., STR unit owners, STR neighbors, property managers, real estate agents).
Task 2: July-September 2018
Draft STR regulations, proposed permitting process and fee structure, and compliance monitoring and enforcement system.
- Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) Work Session: 1 p.m., Tuesday, July 31, Summit County Courthouse, 208 E. Lincoln Ave, Breckenridge. County staff reviewed project progress and obtained BOCC direction on draft regulations.
- Countywide Planning Commission Public Hearing: 5:30 p.m., Monday, Aug. 27, Buffalo Mountain Room, Summit County Commons, 37 Peak One Dr., Frisco. The Planning Commission reviewed the proposed STR regulations, head public testimony, and began developing a recommendation to be forwarded to the BOCC.
- 2nd Countywide Planning Commission Public Hearing: 5:30 p.m. Monday September 17, 2018, Frisco Adventure Park Day Lodge, 616 Recreation Way, Frisco. The Planning Commission heard additional public testimony, and provided a recommendation to be forwarded on to the Board of County Commissioners.
Task 3: October 2018 - June 2019
Review, adopt and implement STR regulations.
- Board of County Commissioners 1st Public Hearing: 1:30 p.m., Tuesday, October 23, Frisco Adventure Park Day Lodge, 616 Recreation Way, Frisco. At the October 23 meeting, the BOCC reviewed the draft STR regulations and suggested changes recommended by the Countywide Planning Commission, and heard public testimony. Meeting materials for the BOCC October 23rd meeting can be found here:
- Board of County Commissioners 2nd Public Hearing: 1:30 p.m. on Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at the County Courthouse, 208 East Lincoln Ave. in Breckenridge. At the November 13 meeting, the County Commissioners continued their review of the draft STR regulations and heard additional public testimony.
- BOCC November 13 STR meeting materials can be found here starting with page 154.
- In response to input received at the November 13 meeting, the BOCC has tasked County staff with further evaluating several key issues raised by the public, and developing suggested revisions to the proposed regulations that could be made to address these concerns. Key areas of concern include occupancy provisions, special considerations for condo-hotels and fractional ownership units, and a revised process and timeline for rolling out the initial STR permitting process and handling annual permit renewals. County staff is exploring options to revise the proposed regulations to address these concerns, which will be discussed with the BOCC at the December 18 meeting.
- Board of County Commissioners 3rd Public Hearing: 9:00 a.m., on Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at the County Courthouse, 208 East Lincoln Ave. in Breckenridge. At the December 18 meeting, the County Commissioners will continue their review of the draft STR regulations, hear additional public testimony, and, if appropriate, make a decision regarding adoption of the proposed regulations.
- Anticipated Implementation Steps for STR Regulations and Permitting Process: December 2018 -June 2019
- Adoption of Regulations
- Mid-January 2019 - Begin receiving and reviewing STR permit applications.
- June 1, 2019 - Proposed deadline to submit County STR permit applications.
- June 30, 2019 - Begin enforcement of County STR Regulations.
These dates are subject to change depending upon the timing of adoption and direction from the BOCC.